Noun(1) something left after other parts have been taken away(2) freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility(3) a pause for relaxation(4) a state of inaction(5) euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb(6) a support on which things can be put(7) a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
Verb(1) not move; be in a resting position(2) take a short break from one's activities in order to relax(3) give a rest to(4) have a place in relation to something else(5) be at rest(6) stay the same; remain in a certain state(7) be inherent or innate in(8) put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying(9) sit, as on a branch(10) rest on or as if on a pillow(11) be inactive, refrain from acting
(1) She stormed off somewhere and I didn't see her the rest of the night.(2) The rest of the novel remains intact for audiences who like the movie and want to know what happens to these characters.(3) By the end of last year, he had nothing left in the tank, and he was planning a complete rest until he felt the urge to pick up a racquet.(4) he needed to rest after the feverish activity(5) However you view it, you can rest assured that this is one day which wasn't dreamed up as a cynical marketing ploy to part us from our money.(6) I was feeling heavy and tired and would have had to rest up anyway.(7) Most of the rest of the night was sadly uneventful, the friend and I got home and watched a movie.(8) His tan face flushed with embarrassment as the rest of the ten remaining guests egged him on.(9) Where there was one, you can rest assured that the other wasn't too far away, such was their close bond.(10) The District Attorney said last week that the prosecution would rest today.(11) This is a stylish and very practical telephone rest , which comes with a handy desk pen.(12) He had removed his gloves but the rest of the uniform remained, clinging tightly to the sculptured muscles of his physique.(13) I am going to rest up today in preparation for the upcoming working week, and catch up on reading your blogs.(14) she needs to give her ankle a rest(15) I spend the rest of the night in a TV room with a hundred or so others watching CNN.(16) There were campsites in these areas, but the rest of the park remained safe for tourists.
(1) rest in peace :: repose en paix
(2) to rest :: se reposer
(3) the rest :: le reste
(4) take a rest :: repose toi un peu
(5) have a rest :: se reposer
(6) at rest :: au repos
(7) rest assured :: repos assuré
(8) lay to rest :: enterrer
(9) rest of :: reste
(10) a rest :: un repos
1. repose ::
2. break ::
3. stand ::
4. a standstill ::
5. remainder ::
6. respite ::
7. residual ::
8. quietus ::
coup de grâce
10. relax ::
11. lie ::
12. support ::
13. be based on ::
se baser sur
14. remain ::
15. breathe ::
16. roost ::
17. repose ::
18. pillow ::
rest, rested, restful, resting, restless, rests
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
But REST assured that...
Breaking Bad Season 3, Episode 8
Cersei will keep her close.
The REST of your household though...
Game of Thrones Season 1, Episode 8
Now REST, dad. Rest.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 4
The REST of us will try to REST.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 6
along with the REST
of this fucking endeavor.
Westworld Season 2, Episode 4
English to French Dictionary: rest
Meaning and definitions of rest, translation in French
language for rest with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of rest in French and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'rest'
What rest means in French, rest meaning
in French, rest
definition, examples and pronunciation
of rest in French language.