Noun(1) a land mass (smaller than a continent(2) a zone or area resembling an island
(1) In 1393, Great Turnovo - the capital of Bulgaria remained as an isolated island in the ocean of Turkish possessions.(2) an island of calm in the city(3) A tiny speck in the Sulu Sea offers a little known island paradise.(4) The tiny uninhabited island is in the Sea of Japan halfway between the Korean Peninsula and Japan.(5) Typical appliances rested on a long line of marble counters surrounding an island in the middle of the room.(6) He said the true meaning of civilisation and globalisation meant the adoption of the local culture and to blend with the local culture and not to make an isolated island of cultures.(7) Delegates from around 190 nations began the session Monday on the Indonesian resort island of Bali.(8) There was a sparkling clean kitchen, with a black island in the middle.(9) The water which surrounds the island is a rich fishing ground for tuna and mackerel.(10) Together with the slightly more mountainous Antigua, they make up the island nation.(11) One would think that France was an isolated island on a completely different planet.(12) A passenger jet crashes on a deserted Pacific island .(13) The game still starts off with you escorting an inquisitive journalist to a remote tropical island .(14) She flipped it open once again as she seated herself on a stool next to the island in the kitchen.(15) A princess visits an island inhabited by two tribes.(16) Cambridge is very much an isolated island of student life outside UW.
(1) desert island :: île déserte
(2) on the island :: sur l'Ile
(3) small island :: petite île
(4) traffic island :: île de la circulation
(5) barrier island :: île barrière
(6) treasure island :: île au trésor
(7) main island :: île principale
(8) floating island :: Île flottante
(9) coral island :: île de corail
(10) safety island :: îlot de sécurité
1. isle ::
2. islet ::
3. atoll ::
4. archipelago ::
5. isolate ::
6. cloister ::
7. seclude ::
8. separate ::
9. detach ::
island, islander, islanders, islands
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
some of whom are on this ISLAND
with us right now.
Game of Thrones Season 7, Episode 3
Welcome to Bear Island.
Game of Thrones Season 6, Episode 7
on Tom Sawyer's Island...
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 3
I never meet Missandei
from the ISLAND of Naath.
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 8
From California to the New York ISLAND,
I'm a real Yankee Doodle boy.
The Big Bang Theory Season 4, Episode 7
English to French Dictionary: island
Meaning and definitions of island, translation in French
language for island with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of island in French and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'island'
What island means in French, island meaning
in French, island
definition, examples and pronunciation
of island in French language.